Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The search for a battery is concluded

Several months ago prior to our trip to Bhutan, our friend asked me to assist in finding a mobile phone battery for a phone he purchased in Malaysia in 2009.  So off I went to Lot 10, an electronics mall in Kuala Lumpur.  I thought it had almost everything.  But alas, no battery was to be found.  Not in the accessory stores, not in the stores specializing in batteries, and not in the manufacturer's (CSL) service centre.  They informed me that spare parts for the model were no longer available.  Other dealers were less charitable;  others suggested that if I had the battery something might be found.

So when I returned from Bhutan in late July, I had the old battery with me.  So I started at Lot 10 yet again.  Same tour of accessory dealers, battery dealers, and the CSL service centre.  I had no better luck.  I was rather desperate, even looking for battery packs which I could substitute.  Nothing could be found.  One dealer said, "Oh from a Chinese phone" and just handed it back to me.

On our way home, outside the KL Monorail station at KL Sentral in Brickfields, Liz saw a battery, mobile phone, watch and clock shop (Tukang Jam Waikong, No. 88 Tun Sambanthan, Brickfields, 50470 Kuala Lumpur).  She called me back and I showed the battery to the sales clerk.  He said leave a phone number and come back in two days.

Our hero, Chandran

The next day, I received a phone call.  He had the battery!  I went down by taxi, picked up the battery (RM 45) and went back home.  Instructions: insert in phone, charge for 6 hours and all should be well.

So, many thanks to "Liz, finder of lost things".

No comments:

Post a Comment