Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Relocating: A Farewell Party

When I retired I knew that I would not miss: grading papers, organizing course schedules,attending faculty meetings, and muttering about mindless paperwork. But I miss the opportunities to drop into colleagues' offices to share news, chat, or just kill time. So I was especially appreciative when Michael and Ellen, pictured below, held a farewell party for us and to bring together faculty who have worked together for two decades or more.

At one point during the evening I was on the outskirts of a conversation about campus politics. Michael turned to me to observe that we weren't the least bit interested and glad that we weren't. Michael and I have met for coffee, and will do so again. We have enjoyed long conversations without a word about the university and our old jobs.

Pictured below are Bob, Dennis, Clifford and Tracy - relative newbies. That is, they arrived on campus over 20 years ago, but after I did.




Although this was a farewell party I plan to drop in on former colleagues in December. And we hope that they will take advantage of a place to stay in Malaysia.

No comments:

Post a Comment