Sunday, November 21, 2010

Relocating: Emptying the pantry and closet

Six weeks until our targeting moving date. We are getting things done very slowly - no chance that our last days will be anything less than frantic.

Saturday's newspaper include a bag from Kroger for Food Bank donations. I had recently organized a cabinet and found excess rice, bean threads, and pasta - too much to eat in six weeks. So into the bag they went. Doug included cans of fruit and miscellaneous items from the pantry. We also rid the bathroom closet of unopened toiletries. We opted to donate to the Y's food drive, since the Y is miles closer than either Kroger or the Food Bank.

Energized I tackled my closet. Out went four suits, but I still couldn't part with my black suits (four are still in the closet). I had to admit that the Thai silk dresses that were made on our honeymoon trip to SE Asia weren't going to be worn by me or anyone I knew. Then there were the cotton blouses - I don't know the last time I wore a cotton blouse. Like the suits I probably kept as many as I gave away.









Over the years I have worked with staff members of local non-profits; they have impressed me with their dedication and practical skills. So I had to debate which thrift shop to donate to. I went to Abbeygail's, run by the Women's Center of Wake County; it is close. I hope that each piece finds a good hope and a happy wearer.

No comments:

Post a Comment