Thursday, June 16, 2011

Updating Microsoft and other stuff

Today is the first Thursday after the monthly updates of the Microsoft operating system. I am diligent about this every month, and what a pain. I really sympathize with my former co-worker at the NCGA who is responsible for maintaining over 800 computers.

So this process started yesterday with my ASUS N10J. Now this is a netbook class computer with a lot of frills attached using Vista Home Premium (cannot be upgraded because ASUS does not provide the necessary drivers and bios fixes). I started at about 3PM and the update process was completed by 6:50, just in time to leave for Bahasa Malaysia classes at the YMCA. Only 21 fixes to be applied since last month. Hey Microsoft, please build some secure software to begin with. And I only have Windows, and Office products from Microsoft. I also have Open Office installed, but still need the Office products.

This was followed by installation of a newer version of Kaspersky Internet Security. I have enjoyed this product since Trend Micro turned toxic on me...identifying the entire operating system as a virus on another computer. It took weeks to get the Trend Micro removed and replaced by Kaspersky. So I downloaded the update file (110 MB) and followed the procedure for update. Delete the old software (they have a feature that allows you to keep a bunch of stuff, like the license code, databases, etc.). This took about 45 minutes. Perform the install, from the downloaded file. This took about 30 minutes. Then nearly 1 hour to update the databases. I finished by 11:15PM after returning from the YMCA language classes at 10:10PM.

Total time spent: 5 hours with Liz wandering around fuming. If she is a typical end user, no wonder Microsoft products remain so vulnerable. Who has the time to do this, especially when you are connected by WiFi or WiMax services.

Now I thought I would breeze through this with my other computer, a Toshiba Satellite A505, a modern desktop replacement laptop with 6GB memory, an Intel I7 chip and plenty of hard drive space. It runs Windows 7 64bit OS. It also is kept upto date with all patches applied monthly. Well the speed did help some, and I helped it out by saving the Kaspersky Internet Security download file from the other computer on a thumb drive.

The process. Begin the security update process from Microsoft. Only 18 to download. After a relatively short period (I was happy) the installation process began. Then the bad news...4 of the updates failed. So reboot, download again, and several additional updates showed up. So I downloaded 6 and installed the updates again. Success.

Then it told me...install IE 9. I had been holding back on this since my experience with IE8 in the fall of 2008. A long story shortened was the pop-up control caused my AMEX card to be suspended (while in Malaysia). AMEX did its job, notified me on my US phone, Vonage sent me an e-mail with the text of the message, and I called AMEX from my Malaysian cell phone, spoke to their security folks and had the problem sorted out in 15 minutes. Total cost USD $2 for the cell phone call (really cheap rates to the US on Digi). Why cannot T-mobile, ATT, Verizon, or Sprint do this? But that is another rant.

Well after 4 reboots, I finally had the Toshiba up to date with Microsoft security upgrades. Then began the Kaspersky Internet Security. From my pre downloaded installation file, I ran the update. I updated the activation code with a new license (RM 99 (about USD 33) for a 3 computer 1 year license). Check out the price on Amazon or at Costco, and you will be amazed. Then the databases needed to be updated. All in all, I was done by 11:15 AM. A total of only 2 hours 15 minutes. Not bad, but how many of the 100's of millions of Microsoft users go through this. Think of the loss of productivity world wide. Maybe this is an economic plot against the world :)

So the monthly problems are solved, until next month after we return from Italy. Oh well, why not, I will be suffering from jet lag.

Yes, you can see why I love my IPad2.

No comments:

Post a Comment